Success - Is it for everyone?
One of the most respectable people I have come across in my
life is Larry Gelwix. He has had a
successful life with many notable achievements.
Most notably, he was the head coach of the Highland rugby team portrayed
in the Hollywood film “Foreverstrong”. I
have been blessed to have a close personal relationship with him as I served a
two-year volunteer religious service under his direction. One thing I respect about him is his ability
to continue having a lasting effect upon his many connections. He sends an inspirational email every day to
a huge list of his friends and other acquaintances. An email I received from him earlier this
week has had a profound impact on my perception of learning. It contained a quote that reads:
"Whenever you see a successful person you only see the
public glories, never the private sacrifices to reach them." - Vaibhav
Shah
Often, I compare myself to the successful people I see
around me and have feelings of jealousy, and discontentment of my own success. I wrongly see them as those who were born
into a wealthy situation or just “got lucky” with an opportunity. This quote I received allowed me to humble
myself and accept the truth of hard work.
Great sacrifices precede any success one gains in life.
Everyone faces sacrifices in life. The success comes from those who made a habit
of giving up something to gain something superior. Those sacrifices don’t have to include
astronomical changes; they could include small changes each day. For example, waking up at seven in the
morning is not a huge sacrifice, but making a habit of doing so each morning
for years on end is indeed a huge sacrifice.
Many sacrifices people face are not necessarily appropriate
to take at that period in time. One
needs long-term vision to properly know what sacrifices are appropriate; some only
open their eyes to short term, where the reward does not pay out.
Everyone who has ever achieved something has doubters. A doubter is someone who views the sacrifice
as greater than the reward, therefore “doubts” the decision to sacrifice. To those who doubt, let them listen to Bill
Cosby who simply put it, “In order to succeed, your desire for success should
be greater than your fear of failure.”
I have always had doubters in my life. I needed to learn this life lesson so I can
go through life, and be able to know what it really takes to be
successful. So from here on, I will not perceive
those who I see as successful as “lucky”.
I will give myself more credit for my hard work, and not let the
doubters in my life have such an effect on my morale and behavior. I know what success is, and I know what it
takes.
Great and wise words, Taylor. Now go and do.
ReplyDelete