Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Drop in the Ocean

      Is it just me or can Mother Teresa just inject some motivation directly into your heart?  It seems as we pay more attention to the things we learn each week, the more knowledge we retain.  As I have started to form the small habit of keeping my eye out during the week for something I learned so I can write about it, I have found that my mind is far more sensitive to recognizing a much-valued lesson.  As a poor college student, it is difficult to feel as though you make a difference in the world.  It is a trying time in life that is mentally difficult.  All hard work put in will not yield results, in most cases, in the near future.  The powerful lesson I learned this week came from Mother Teresa as she said, “We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.”
      What I learned was that as we live our life, we need to treat ourselves as an important role to the world; as if the world would be a little worse without our influence.  It is not the influence of one day, but that of a lifetime that really matters. 
As I have felt motivation and happiness from this realization, I commit to give myself more credit for making the world just a little bit better. 


2 comments:

  1. Good post Taylor. When I think of all the people that have had a profound influence on my life, I cannot point to a single event or moment that really changed my life. Rather, it was their persistent good example that helped me become what I am today. I think our efforts work the same way. We don't have to do one or two super significant things to change the world, but rather our constant efforts to do the best that we can is what makes the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Sometimes we do not even see the impact of our actions but in the larger scheme of things, every choice we make has a definite impact. We are the sum of our choices up to this point.

    ReplyDelete