Friday, November 14, 2014

Presentation Skills
I enjoyed giving my own presentation this past week as well as listening to other classmates give each of their presentations.  I noticed how I perceived my own presenting skills were different than what my classmates viewed my skills as.  For example, I thought I was energized and showed emotion through my abilities, but I was critiqued that I needed to show more emotion. 
I realized that when giving a presentation or simply having a conversation requires “over doing” several emotions and other aspects that occur in conversation.  I believe this applies to many things, but most commonly found is a lack of volume among presenters.  If I were the one presenting, I would need to be even louder than I had previously planned. 
Ensuring that the presenting abilities are on par and you are able to make a connection with your audience, you will be able to convey your message in a positive way.  Your message will stick as that connection is made. 

I will make sure I apply the critique I received into future presentations and simple conversations. 

2 comments:

  1. It's very true that we view ourselves differently than others, especially in a presentation situation. I think that everybody that has presented so far has done an awesome job, and I have definitely learned a lot from observing everyone. It sounds like you have taken the criticism in the right light though, and have learned from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is something we all underestimate. I know I have on multiple occasions forgotten to turn up my microphone during a presentation and then lost part of the crowd because they cannot hear. Not only did that hurt my professionalism, but I also lost rapport with that part of the audience because they felt uncared about. I like how introspective your insights are and I wish you the best. Something I have found to be of help is to really turn up your energy, but then use peaks and troughs of energy to keep you audience with you. Too much high energy can lead your audience to feel exhausted, but a good up-and-down approach can help keep the interest of your audience.

    ReplyDelete