Sacrifice
I learned a lot about sacrifice this week. I had an interesting experience taking a family member to dinner. This person invited my wife and myself to have dinner at a restaurant. I knew it was important to go just to show him we love him. It was a restaurant that neither my wife or I even enjoy. My wife and I never have a free night together, and this was also on our anniversary night.
We could have used this rare free night to celebrate our anniversary, however we discussed that we needed to show love to our family member. At this dinner, we were there for over two hours, and ended up paying for a dinner we did not enjoy that much.
On the long drive home from Salt Lake, my wife and I discussed what we learned from this experience. We were not bitter or upset; we were humbled. We were grateful we had the opportunity to sacrifice some things that are important to us so we could show support to someone who is important to us. It was a good feeling knowing we did the right thing.
Thanks for sharing Taylor! I really liked your positive example of making the right choice, even when it wasn't convenient. What I really admire is that you didn't seem to do it grudgingly. Recently I've been faced with sacrifices like this, and often I make the right choice, but I do it because I know I should, not because I necessarily want to. When I spend the whole time moping about how much time I am wasting or how much I'd rather be doing something else, it turns into a miserable experience. But I love how you took the right attitude and things turned out well for you.
ReplyDeleteWow, I loved this post! What a great example of Christlike love and charity. Free time really is so precious as a student and I'm sure that was pretty hard to give up at first! What really stands out to me is that this was also on your Anniversary! This would have been a great way out of dinner, but ya'll went anyways. What better way to celebrate than by service though and ya'll definitely did that.
ReplyDeleteGood insight dude. You're right that sacrifices are sometimes necessary, especially to help out a loved one. I hope I can apply this lesson in my own life too.
ReplyDelete